President Nicos Anastasiades on Monday night announced a near lockdown, saying movement will be restricted as from tomorrow at 6 pm except in cases where absolutely necessary, the latest in a series of tough new measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
“An out-of-control spread of the cases will lead to the collapse of the health system, which cannot respond to the needs that will be created irrespective of how good its structure is,” he said during a televised address on Monday evening.
“I cannot conceive that we can be led to the scenes seen in Italy and Spain where doctors are forced to select who lives and who will be left to die.”
The president said that despite previous measures, the sacrifice of thousands of workers, the pain felt by parents and children who remained abroad, a section of the public displayed a lack of discipline, self-respect, responsibility and solidarity with their fellow humans.
“Behaviours that expose the entire population to mortal danger,” he said, referring to the scenes of crowded parks on Sunday despite the government’s plea for people to stay at home.
As part of the fresh measures, the government banned unnecessary movement from 6pm on Tuesday until April 13, unless it concerned work, the purchase of supplies, doctor and pharmacy visits, or going to a bank if an online transaction is impossible.
Also exempted are people who provide assistance to vulnerable groups and first-degree relatives attending funerals, weddings, or baptisms, provided they do not exceed 10 people.
The measures we take, affect the everyday life of all of us. But I do not want any citizen to feel that the lives of their children, father or mother will depend on events that have been created, as a result of the disobedience and insubordination of a minority minority.
In view of what we all have been thinking, the phenomena recorded, as well as the advice of our scientific partners, the interministerial committee, which met today under my presidency, has decided the following new measures
1. Ban on road travel, from 06.00 pm of 24 March 2020 until 13 April, except for:
I. Transition to and from the workplace.
II. Transportation for supplies of first need goods from businesses or shops that are allowed to operate and if they cannot be shipped.
III. Visiting a doctor or transition to a pharmacy.
IV. Switch to bank if electronic transactions are impossible.
V. Movement to provide assistance to our fellow citizens who are unable to autoexypēretēthoún or to groups that are required or are in quarantine and / or mandatory quarantine areas.
VI. First and second degree relatives going to rituals, such as funerals, weddings and christenings and do not exceed the number of 10 persons.
VII. Movements for physical exercise or pet needs, provided that they do not exceed two people and are limited to the area of residence.
In any case, those in circulation should bear identity and additional evidence for the purpose of their release. Details and the way of control will be announced by the competent authorities.
2. Also from 6 after mesembria of 24 March 2020 until 13 April the following spaces are closed
III. Open spaces open.
IV. Public spaces include, among others, squares, barriers, building spaces, beaches, marinas.
3. All retail businesses will suspend their work, except for businesses included in a decree to be issued within the day by the minister of health.
4. The popular markets are being sold, and planodiopṓlēsē is also being sold.
5. Work on construction sites other than public utility works, with permission from the minister of transport, communications and works.
6. The presence of citizens in places of religious worship, such as churches, mosques and other prayer areas is forbidden.
7. Ban on the custom of “competition” by immediate removal of timber or other materials already collected for this purpose. The responsibility to implement the ban is held by the local authorities in cooperation with the police.
I want to make it clear that the state will be relentless for those who have been break or infringed the state’s orders to date.
In addition to any other criminal responsibilities, the perpetrators will be charged with a penalty of 150 euros.