The health ministry on Sunday announced one new death and 35 new cases of Covid-19 in Republic of Cyprus bringing the death toll to six and the total confirmed cases to 214.
It was the highest jump so far in numbers of patients in Cyprus.
The death involved a 68-year-old man who was in the Nicosia hospital ICU. He was the father of a 47-year-old man who already succumbed to the virus.
Member of the government’s advisory body on the pandemic, Dr Leontios Kostrikis, who announced the latest numbers, said that it was difficult to predict the curve at this time.
At the same time, he emphasised that many of the incidents were transmitted through a family environment and said people should avoid large family gatherings.
Tougher measures to restrict contacts could not be ruled out, he said.