Thirty new cases of COVID-19 in Cyprus were announced by the ministry of health on Saturday, bringing the total so far to 426 in the Republic of Cyprus.
Virologist Leontios Kostrikis said that these referred to 13 people who had contact with a known case, three from the Aradippou cluster, one who had just returned from overseas and 13 whose history is still being traced.
He said the coming week was important as it would help provide a complete picture of how the virus is developing in Cyprus.
Dr Leontios Kostrikis said that 282 of the 426 confirmed cases are from contact with other people found positive to Coronavirus.
10,154 tests have been conducted so far by CING, the microbiology department at Nicosia and Limassol Hospitals and by private labs. 33 people have so far been cured of the virus.
Dr Leontios Kostrikis said that sample collection at Paphos and Aradippou has begun by lab NIPD Genetics and will continue in the coming days.
1,000 samples are scheduled to be taken in Paphos, 186 of which were taken today and the rest will be fulfilled by Tuesday. 62% attendance was recorded today from the scheduled sample-taking appointments in Paphos.
In Aradippou there are 525 appointments scheduled for sample collection. 38 took place on Wednesday, three of which came out positive. On Friday 153 samples were taken and 334 today.
Kostrikis said that the number of new cases remains within the estimates of the scientific team, but said it is too early to paint a clear image.
“We will need a few more days. Next week is important because it will give us a better view for the virus’ epidemiological behaviour after the lockdown measures,” he said.
“The effort continues,” he added, thanking the public for its contribution.
“What you are doing is very important and you should keep this up. For you, your loved ones, for our society.
“For as long as there is no cure, self-protection remains the best method of dealing with the virus,” he concluded.