The health ministry on Thursday announced that 38 more people had tested positive for coronavirus. 1226 tests carried out islandwide. This brings the total to 564.
Dr Marios Loizou said a 78 year year old woman with underlying health conditions had died in the ICU of Nicosia Hospital bringing the total number of deaths of people who have tested positive for coronavirus to 15, for ten of whom Covid-19 was the cause of death.
Of the 38 new cases announced today 18 were detected after tracing, seven were from 258 tests carried out in Aradippou and 13 are being investigated.
The total number of cases is now 564, including 10 in the British Bases from a total of 15489 tests.
Of the 10 previous cases for which tracing was still underway, five have been traced to contacts and the rest are still being investigated. The total of 564 positive cases in Cyprus, 413 were from contacts, which means they were infected here.
At 3 pm on Thursday, there were 30 coronavirus patients at Famagusta Hospital, which is the referral hospital for COVID-19, of whom three are in the special care unit.
One patient was discharged today.
Another 12 patients are intubated, two in the ICU of Limassol Hospital and 10 in the ICU of Nicosia Hospital. Their condition is described as steady but serious.
One more coronavirus case was also detected in the north on Thursday bringing the total number to 96. The new case was detected among 191 tests. It concerns a person from Lefke.
Three deaths have been recorded so far of coronavirus patients, one Turkish Cypriot man and two German tourists, a man and a woman.
Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci held a meeting on Thursday with ‘prime minister’ Ersin Tatar and ‘deputy prime minister’ Kudret Ozersay.
Tatar said after the meeting that those who need to be outside should wear a respiratory mask. He also said that they briefed Akinci of the ‘cabinet’ decisions that convened later on Thursday.
Tatar also said that after the arrival of a flight on Friday from Ankara with repatriated Turkish Cypriots, there would no more flights to the north until further notice.
He had announced earlier in the week that repatriation flights would stop following concerns that the arrival of more people from abroad would further raise the number of coronavirus cases