A woman who arrived from the US but failed to self-isolate infecting 14 other people so far is being investigated for possible offences, Justice Minister Emily Yiolitis said on Monday.
Responding to a question on Twitter about the conduct of the woman, the minister said she was under the supervision and placed in self-isolation.
“A probe is underway through testimonies and the contact tracing process to see if charges can be substantiated against her, and if yes, which ones,” Yiolitis said on Twitter.
“Rest assured that where responsibilities arise on such a serious matter, they will be attributed,” she said.
Politics also said she was waiting for a report from the health ministry about tracing her contacts to see whether a case can be substantiated against her.
She recalled that people found violating the self-isolation decree can be fined €300 or jailed for a year and fined up to €50,000.
Six of the 26 new cases announced on Sunday were contacts of the woman.
According to the health ministry, the woman violated her quarantine, “visited various areas, organised and attended a party and a dinner.”
So far, the cluster she started numbers, 14 people, in Limassol and reportedly in Larnaca. Among them is a 13-year-old girl treated at the Makarios children’s hospital, reports said.
Politics also announced on Monday that the police would be conducting intensive random spot checks all over Cyprus to confirm that people from category C countries and close contacts of established patients are indeed self-isolating at the accommodation address they provided upon entering the country.